[pcductape] Re: Networking question

  • From: "Emery, David" <demery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:55:01 -0400

I would suggest a couple of things, I would not enter a DNS, however, you
could enter a gateway if you want, however I do not think it is necessary.
The one that is getting a 169 number shows me that either the NIC or DHCP is
not working. I would go under hardware, device manager and make sure the NIC
is working fine. Check both ends of the cat 5 cable and make sure you have
it plugged into a good slot, switch it with one of the other connections on
your router.
If you run cmd at the start\run command and do a ipconfig /release then
ipconfig /renew and then ipconfig /all do you see it being assigned a number
yet?
Also is the link light lit on your NIC? It sounds like hardware right now
without more specifics. :>) Dave