[pcductape] Re: Networking issue

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ctm007 <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:18:06 -0500

Hi Ctm007,

Wednesday, July 9, 2003, 3:32:06 AM, you wrote:

C> Hi Guys,

C> Remember some time back I announced that I had purchased a new
C> computer and I wanted to transfer some files off the old computer
C> to the new. I purchased a crossover cable and followed the steps
C> and the transfer was never successful; the wizard kept trying to
C> hook me up via serial ports and I had my crossover cable plugged
C> into netcards. I gave up and collected my necessary files via email

This is different; in this case, all you have to do is set up standard
Windows networking, share one drive, and start dragging&dropping.

If you get Windows networking to work, internet is likely to start
working again on that computer.

C> from computer #3. So, now I have plugged in the network cable (C5)
C> off of the router and have tried many times to get the old computer
C> to connect to Internet but it will not. The only change to the old
C> computer from the days it did connect to the Internet is I used
C> "netsetup.exe" on the old computer via 3.5" floppy and it must have
C> installed a file that prohibits the connection to the Internet. My
C> question is what file(s) did netsetup.exe put on the old computer?

If you want/need to get internet working anyway, often the fastest way
is to remove all of the networking stuff, restart, then add the
networking/dialup stuff back in.