[pcductape] Re: Network dropping momentarily?

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard Crumlich <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 03:44:00 -0600

Friday, March 7, 2003, 12:18:24 AM, you wrote:

RC> Are the systems using DHCP or Static IP's.. I have seen this problem with
RC> 2000 and an ME box failing to renew a lease when requested by the DHCP
RC> server. The ME box would not acknowledge the request to renew the lease,
RC> and the connection died. I solved it by going to a Static IP. I was also
RC> told that you could Disable Lease Requesting by the server, in which case a
RC> lease was permanent until you dropped the connection. You might want to
RC> check if Messaging was turned off on the XP and 2000 box's (to disable a
RC> messaging spam nuisance) in which case it might never request
RC> acknowledgement since a NT system uses messaging to broadcast.

Hi, Rick!

How're you and Tammie doing?

It looks like the direct cause of the problem is the Linksys BEFSR81
router in at least two of the cases, don't know about the third yet;
yes, all have the same router. Upgrading the firmware seems to resolve
the problem.

The big question is why all three suddenly decided to act up, out of
the blue, after running without trouble for months.  I've yet to see
the problem myself, so I wonder if there's some app on one of the
computers that triggers the router to act up.

The note with the firmware says that one of the bugs fixed is a router
reboot caused by a multicast...

--Scott.