[pcductape] Re: Network dropping momentarily?

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Emery, David" <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:25:25 -0600

Hello David,

Thursday, March 6, 2003, 10:32:53 AM, you wrote:

ED> Scott: Your question is pretty broad not knowing anything about how the
ED> networks are configured, etc.
ED> The problem is one that has to be isolated and that is done by ruling out
ED> the various things like making sure the correct protocols are installed on
ED> machines, is it certain machines that have the problem, are machines
ED> different brands, what type hubs, switches and wiring and Nics etc. being
ED> utilized.

The problem affects all the machines on the networks; they all lose
connection simultaneously. We're trying various things to try to
resolve the problem. So far, at my customer's place, I have replaced
one of the switches, turned off Norton Personal Firewall on one
computer, replaced the RJ45 on one cable, replaced one modular jack,
upgraded the firmware in the router (one of the bugs resolved is a
router reboot caused by a multicast, maybe that'll help), and
rearranged the cables between the other switch and the router so that
all of the active cables were on the router and all the inactive
cables on the switch, which I then turned off (so, instead of two
switches and a router, there's now one switch and a router). Will find
out tomorrow afternoon if these latest changes have had any effect.  I
meant to check to see if the router is plugged into the UPS, will have
my customer check that tomorrow.

--
Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:Wizard@xxxxxxxx