[pcductape] Re: Network dropping momentarily?

  • From: "Emery, David" <demery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:32:53 -0500

Scott: Your question is pretty broad not knowing anything about how the
networks are configured, etc.
The problem is one that has to be isolated and that is done by ruling out
the various things like making sure the correct protocols are installed on
machines, is it certain machines that have the problem, are machines
different brands, what type hubs, switches and wiring and Nics etc. being
utilized.
Have all machines gone to the windows update site and running all the
critical updates and patches\service packs. You have to collect data and use
a systematic approach in trying to come up with the common denominator that
may be creating the problem. Are the networks using T1's, cable, DSL etc. as
each of these can create problems and certain fixes can be applied. Have
gateway, workgroups and either static or DHCP been checked and the subnet
mask?
All it takes sometimes is one thing on the network to create the problem.
One intermittent hub etc. I wish there was an easy answer, however, to many
things to consider with what you provided, Microsoft will not be much help
until you sort out what you have from beginning to end for each network.
Sometimes some will try to get by with wiring that has been there for awhile
and it may not be cat 5, it could be cat 3 and this could create problems
depending on how fast the network is configured.
Bottom line you need a starting place and try tracert or other commands to
see where you are failing.
 <http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharing.htm>
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharing.htm

<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q192/5/34.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=