[pcductape] Network dropping momentarily?

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:47:50 -0600

Hi, all!

Has anyone seen problems recently, say since the beginning of the
year, with all XP Pro (don't know about Home) computers on a network
losing the connection momentarily?  It shows up in two different ways,
either a red X appears on the connection status icon in the task bar,
or else you try to go to a page in IE, and you get "Page not found" or
something like that, and trying again immediately is successful.  The
problem is especially noticeable when the connection status icon is
turned on, and those annoying balloon tips are enabled.

So far, I've seen it at the business of one of my after-hours
customers, and on my own computer, and one of my co-workers has seen
it at the business of one of his after-hours customers, and also on
his own home network, and another co-worker sees it when he has his
computer at home and his laptop connected via a USB cable. It's the
biggest problem with programs that run across the network, such as
QuickBooks Enterprise version, which is what my customer has, and it's
bad enough to interfere with their work, since they often have to get
out of Quickbooks and then go back in, and sometimes they have to
retype something.  I was told that it was happening every hour or so,
but now, with the balloons turned on, it looks like it's happening
more like twice an hour.  Without the balloons, you either have to try
to access the net at that moment, or notice the X in the tray while
it's there.

So far, about the only common thread that we've found is that they're
all XP systems, and they're all on a network, and, I think, they're
all on cable (via router), although I don't know about the co-worker
with the laptop. Has anyone else seen or heard anything like this?