[pcductape] Re: Music from Africa

  • From: "Eric Skeen" <northcom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:30:40 +0200

Hi Victor,

Err... I profess to not really listen to the rhythmic beat of African
music, but go more for the western culture. Most of the African music
is Tribal vernacular, and means ab-so-loot-ley nothing to me, 'cos I
have no idea what they are singing about.

However, Johnny Clegg and Savuka / Juluka has some good stuff. One of
my favourites is "Scatterlings Of Africa", but there are others such
as "Impi" which is usually sung during an International Rugby match
featuring the 'Boks, also "Third World Child" and "The Great Heart",
which was the theme for the movie "Jock of the Bushveld". Also,
"December African Rain".

Ladysmith Black Mombazo Hits include: (These are a'capella)
        Shosholoza (brought us luck in the '95 Rugby World Cup when they sang
it)
        Rain, Rain, Beautiful rain
        Homeless
        Swing Low Sweet Chariot (Not from SA, but their rendition of it is
beautiful)

I don't know of the Mahotella Queens, so can't help you there.

Instrumental music includes the following:
        Hugh Masakela - Grazing In The Grass
        Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata (Vocal)
        Nico Carstens - Zambezi
        Nico Carstens - Warmpatat
        African Jazz Pioneers - Skokiaan (African version)
        Dan Moyane - Shosholoza (A'Capella)
        Ipi Tombi - Mama Tembu's Wedding (From the Show)
        Mango Groove - Special Star (Kwela)
        Miriam Makeba - The Click Song
        Norman Luboff Choir - Mangwane Mpulele (American Choir, Zulu "Peace"
song)
        Rasta Rebels - Gimme Hope Joanna (protest song)
        South African Traditional - Drum Rhythms
        Spokes Mashiyane - Kwela Claude (Traditional African Music)
        Spokes Mashiyane - Kwela Spokes ( = ditto = )

I never saw the movie "The Power of One", so can't help there. But the
above list should get you going.

Happy days,

That Guy In Africa...
ICQ#  39461303