[pcductape] Re: Mirroring hdd's

  • From: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:13:08 -0800

Darn, another power out just as I was finishing this.
Let's try again. :O)

How in the world can "writing" to two different hard drives speed up the process? And the biggest concern is when a power surge, either lightening or otherwise, kills the machine and all what's in it. What then?

If the two hard drives are each on a separate channel, the data is split up and it can write/ read to two at the same time, or almost the same time. It's because you can only push so much data through each channel. Theoraticly this sounds good, but in reality, it sounds like you don't get that much of an improvement.
Well, when everything in the machine is dead, go buy another and start over. What else is there? :O) The only thing to do is move on with life.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl" <Ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>