[pcductape] Mirroring hdd's

  • From: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:33:37 -0800

Hi Pam,
I don't think you want to mirror your drives. This will only protect you from hard drive failures with only two drives. If your software gets messed up, it will mirror it to the other drive and you may be in trouble. My brother stores stock data that he watches daily and likes to play some games. He wanted speed and backup protection, so he went with four drives. He runs two in raid 0, striping. This gives him faster access times. He was told not to use the mirror thing, because it would not protect his data from a software problem. One drive copies bad data to the other. The guy told him to use Karen's Replicator to copy to the other set of raid 0 drives. So that's how I set him up. Raid one will only protect you from a hardware failure, not a software failure. Unless there is something I don't understand here? :O)
With a fast computer like your getting you could likely set it to back up several times a day, like at breaks, or lunch? My brothers backs everything up in less then ten minutes.
Karen's Replacator is set to only copy changed files, so it would take even less time.