[pcductape] Re: Mirroring hdd's

  • From: trapper <trapper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:06:46 -0800

The last time I heard about Raid was on another list. The one most of us
started on..yes way back then.
Some fellow from Belkin was chatting about it..
anyhow all I have ever done to this date is use the xcopy command to back up
anything I was wanting to a separate hd. All my "DL' go there as well in  a
folder called my downloads. I then open up a new folder and name it the name
given to the "DL file. That way I can find it easier than placing it by
category. Though that is not a bad idea either and have some listed that
way..Like virus stuff is listed like that and anything having to do with the
anti-virus is there..
I have a 40 gb hd almost filled with just "DL" from many years past. Use to
be an all time consuming hobby of mine. Found it easier than going thru the
url to "DL' it all over again. Course back then we weren't to sure it would
be around the next month either.
I have been thru many crashes since then..even several new computers. All I
do is disconnect the drive and pop it into the new machine..Never touched,
because it is not the root drive. I don't want to say this to loud..but if
they ever figure out how to spam or bug the 2nd hd then we are all in for a
battle. I would die if someone messed up my backup hd..Can you imagine?
Anyhow..as for anything on Cd I don't bother to back up cuz I have it on cd
and can re-install it easily enough. So why not just place it all onto a cd?
Use to have it all on a 100 mb zip drive..Well not all onto one, more like
50 of them..Zip went down and I was in a hurt. Something called the " Click
of Death" wiped me out. Fortunately I also had it backed up on the 2nd hd
that I was talking about.
Though so far it has been full proof for me..the downside is it takes time
to re-install and I think that is what Pam wants to get away from.
So my way would not work for her and others.
When your counting on this machine for your living, things take a whole new
approach and way of doing things. Down time no matter how little is not a
favorable word in your vocabulary.
I would not want to take two hours..let alone one hour to get back up and
running these days. That is why I have my laptop and it never goes online.
Never gets bugged or zapped. ole reliable...