[pcductape] Re: Message problem

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bob Noble <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:33:17 -0500

Hi Bob,

Saturday, April 17, 2004, 1:27:44 PM, you wrote:

BN> Those people aren't in your address book, but you are in there's. The
message is
BN> sent from their computer with your email address, so any rejects come back
BN> you.

Actually, it's more like your (Jupiter Matt's, in this case) email
address and the email address of the supposed sender are both in
certain files on the computer of a third party, and that third party
is the one actually sending out the emails. You can identify the third
party from the IP address in the Received: header of the emails. If
the email system doing the complaining bothered to quote the header of
the email that it's complaining about, you can see for yourself.

Here's an example email, below. As you can see in the Received line
(which is quoted within the complaint), the IP address is 82.37.145.26
(a cable user of blueyonder.co.uk). I've been getting lots of virus
spams from that IP address, because the sender and I are on the same
mailing list (I determine that due to the "From:
127452875.20031015070839@xxxxxxxx" address, which is actually a
Message-Id:, not an email addres, and that message-Id: appears only in
that mailing list). Unfortunately, the sender seems to be a lurker,
since the IP address does not appear in any legitimate email that I
have on my system.

--Scott.

**************************

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at free.fr.

From: 127452875.20031015070839@xxxxxxxx
To: anthonycrumcg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Mail Delivery (failure anthonycrumcg@xxxxxxxxx)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:11:27 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C0CA80.6B015D10

------=_NextPart_001_001C_01C0CA80.6B015D10

------=_NextPart_001_001C_01C0CA80.6B015D10

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>If the message will not displayed automatically,<br>
follow the link to read the delivered message.<br><br>
Received message is available at:<br>
width=3D0>www.online.fr/inbox/anthonycrumcg/read.php?sessionid-21624</a>
<iframe
src=3Dcid:031401Mfdab4$3f3dL780$73387018@57W81fa70Re height=3D0
width=3D0></iframe>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_001C_01C0CA80.6B015D10--

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C0CA80.6B015D10

Tm9ydG9uIEFudGlWaXJ1cyByZW1vdmVkIHRoZSBhdHRhY2htZW50OiBtZXNzYWdlLnNjci4N
ClRoZSBhdHRhY2htZW50IHdhcyBpbmZlY3RlZCB3aXRoIHRoZSBXMzIuTmV0c2t5LlBAbW0g
dmlydXMu
------=_NextPart_000_001B_01C0CA80.6B015D10--