[pcductape] Re: MSN Messenger Problem

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pam <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:31:40 -0500

Hi Pam,

In case anyone is confoozled after all of that (I certainly was!), let
me summarize:

The Microsoft Messenger Service is designed for administrative
messages to a computer user, such as alerts from an antivirus program
to a network administrator, or a warning from a network administrator
to users that the network is about to go down. Unfortunately, it has
been co-opted by spammers, and is now used for what is called
messenger spam. This service is only available in Windows NT, 2K, XP,
and 2003. The bad part is that you can't even find out where the
messages come from. I'm amazed that Microsoft STILL hasn't added that
bit of info. There are two ways to turn it off:

1. Go to control panel -> administrative tools, double-click on
Messenger. Click on the Stop button, if it's available, then select
Disabled as the startup type. The official description of this service

  "Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and
  servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this
  service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If
  this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
  will fail to start."

2. Go to http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm, download the
program, and run it. It does the same as above.

MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger (the new name) is the instant
messenger chat program; it's now integrated with Outlook, Outlook
Express, and some other programs. The result is that whenever you open
one of these programs, MSN Messenger opens also, since Microsoft KNOWS
that you want it. There are options in Outlook Express to turn it off,
but they don't seem to work all that well. To turn it off for good:

Go to control panel -> Add or Remove Programs, click on Add/Remove
Windows Components, find Windows Messenger, and uncheck it.