  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:08:47 -0600

Duh!  I suppose it would be hard to go to a download site without a browser
to take you.  I can send you the file if you would like.
Opera 6.0 is 10.8 mb
Mozilla is 10.6 mb
and NN 4.78 (sorry, it's the only version of Netscape I've got) is 22.41 mb.

The Mozilla browser looks and feels just like Netscape.  The Opera browser
is different but easy to use and easy to learn to like.  Let me know and
I'll shoot whichever over.

Pam

  Try downloading Opera or Netscape browser and see if you can access the
internet via one of them.  Then you can atleast access the online AV sites
that David & Martha mentioned.

  Pam

    Hi Trapper,
    No, I've not tried safe mode.   I will when I get home.
    I don't have an emergency start up disk.
    I don't have Norton's Disk Doctor.
    I do run AVG daily and I do an update inquiry daily.   Each day AVG
catches a virus and it's always in a compressed file (zip) and I cannot
identify the individual file.   I've not yet killed the entire zip file.   I
will expand the files into a temp folder and run avg and then kill the
individual file.

    My computer runs ok, except I cannot use Internet Explorer nor Windows
Explorer (I understand they are related).   My software programs like
Quicken, MsWorks, Word, Outlook Express, etc work ok.

    If I cannot find Windows XP disk, I'll have to go buy a new one.

    As we speak, I am running F-prot in dos mode.   I'm looking forward to
the results.

    Carl

      Have you tried re-booting into safe mode??
      Have you tried your emergency startup disk?
      It's been awhile but I believe Norton's had something called Ndd (
Norton's disk Doctor). It allowed for you to fix a drive sector by sector,
and I think it also has a virus program with it...
      Isn't your avg catching any of the virus's? If it's upto date it
should be.

      " + "
      trapper@xxxxxxx

      Hi Martha,
      Hi Guys,

      Well I have a real problem.  My Windows xp, home edition will not
restore itself.   I went back and attempted restore on 4 different dates and
none would work.   I could only go back to January 25.    I looked again at
the error report for the "tech details" and it shows 62 files were affected.

      I have some important tax records I cannot afford to lose.   Of course
I will send copies to the other computer on this network (it is working ok),
but I really would like to avoid a format.

      It looks like I need a virus program to run from dos.

      Any suggestions?

      Carl

        Go to Start/Help and Support/Undo Changes to your computer with
System Restore.

        Martha

        Martha's Web

          How?
          Can I do it from Run?
          My Explorer is not working.

          Carl

            If you are using Windows XP, try doing a System Restore on a
date you know IE was working ok.

            Martha

            Martha's Web

              Hey, when I installed Windows xp, did it make a backup copy of
the setup files on my harddrive?

              I would go look but Explorer will not open.

              Carl

                Hi All,

                I found my computer with a headache this morning.   I tried
to open Internet Explorer and it will not.   The error message is that
iexplore.exe is corrupt.   I tried to open Windows Explorer and get the same
error message.   My other programs seem to be working ok, for now.

                I tried run > sfc /scannow and the system asked me for my
Windows XP cdrom and I cannot find it.   I still have my receipt but no
cdrom.

                So, I copied iexplore.exe off a computer at work and then I
tried using dos to copy to c:\program files\Internet explorer and I keep
getting the error message shown below:

                Of course, I don't know if that would even work, copying a
good iexplore.exe over the bad one.   I do have a good iexplore.exe on c:\
drive;   what if I deleted the other one, would Windows pick up on the good
one.

                Carl
                ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JPEG image