[pcductape] Re: Installation stalls at request for USB 2.0 driver.

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:37:41 -0500

Hi Carl,

Sunday, July 18, 2004, 8:40:13 AM, you wrote:

C> Installation stalls at request for USB 2.0 driver.

C> Several days ago I became annoyed with having to click ok on my
C> Windows xp home machine and decided to make the computer logon
C> automatically, so I searched the Internet and found a file titled
C> "autologon.exe" and ran it.   I was never able to boot into regular
C> mode again.   I was able to boot into safe mode.

C> Three days ago I decided to install Windows overitself.
C> However, instead of Windows xp home I used a cd with Windows xp
C> Professional.  The installation has 6 major parts and the attempt
C> to install Windows xp professional succeed past "Collecting
C> Information", "Dynamic Update", "Preparing Installation",
C> "Installing Windows' and it now at the process (2/3 finished) of
C> "Installing Devices".   The system is calling for "hccoin.dll"
C> which is for USB2.0 (EHCI).   I find the old Windows xp home file
C> hccoin.dll and after several minutes, the installation stops and
C> reboots itself back to the system call for "hccoin.dll".   I'm
C> guessing the needed hccoin.dll is for windows xp professional
C> version but I cannot find it on the cd nor the Internet.   Any
C> suggestions?

C> I take the cd installation disk out and reboot to safe mode and
C> the system will not.  It reboots into the installation mode.

No Skip option?

If desperate, you could try pulling the drive out and putting it into
the other computer and searching for files containing the word
"hccoin", and renaming the file extension. These will probably be INF
files.

It is recommended to install WinXPPro fresh, instead of upgrading from
WinXPHome.  If you have another partition, you can install to that,
and, as time permits, copy stuff over from the original installation.

You can only beat a dead horse for so long, because eventually you'll
be beating maggots (which I must protest, as a charter member of
P.E.T.M.), not horse... :)

--Scott.

"Maggots make excellent pets!"