[pcductape] How to tell if upgraded?

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:05:40 -0500

Hi all!

I'm trying to find a conclusive way to determine whether or not a
Win2K system has been upgraded from Win9x, preferably by either
looking at a value in the registry or looking at MS Installer's files.
There's a registry key named
that is on several upgraded systems that I've looked at, and is not on
several fresh-install systems that I looked at, but I don't know if
it's conclusive or not.

Anyway, I'm asking because some systems seem to have trouble with MS
Office after installing a windows service pack, and it seems to be
related to upgraded systems and MSI. I'd like to be able to determine
which systems I'm likely to have trouble with before installing a
service pack. On the systems that are problematical, I find that I
typically have to rip Office out by the roots via the msicuu and the
Office removal tool.

Better yet, I'd like to know if there's an easy, preferably
automatable, way to prevent the problems from happening in the first