[pcductape] Re: How to make a website

  • From: Victor Firestone <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:40:52 +0200

Carl,

Might be best if first you ask your ISP if you can have a virtual domain - a virtual domain is one that actually points at your ISP domain or domains but is redirected to your webpages.

This means that if your url/domain was to be [just for example] www.carlswebsite.com it would actually point at 192.177.17.211 which for this examples sake we will say is your ISP's domain - the name would point at that but the ISP servers reading www.carlswebsite.com would do a redirect to your website.

It is possible, it is a bit of a hassle for your ISP, but it can be done - we do it here for a few websites.

Might cost you a tad more but not as much as actually buying your own domain.

Carl wrote:
Hi Pam,

No I do not have my own domain.   I guess If I'm going for a pay site I need
first to reserve a domain name.   Looks like my ideal of building a web site
is going get expensive.