[pcductape] Re: How to make a website

  • From: Victor Firestone <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 06:42:21 +0200

Hi Carl,

Go here for a comparison of browsers -
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/browser_chart/

Carl wrote:
Hi Vic,

Thanks for that website.   I counted at least 23 different web editors and one is Mozilla Composer .   I use that browser and I update it at least once a week.    My credit union banking account will not allow Internet Explorer to download a qif file but Mozilla can, so I use it.   I have to keep Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Security, uncheck "Do no save encrypted pages to disk" for the software to work on Farmers.com websites pages.   However, I cannot use the Mozilla browser with my Farmers insurance database because it will not open a .PDF file but Internet Explorer will.   Go figure.

The website I want to publish is for my insurance business.   Sure I have a nice webpage at www.farmers.com with my picture but I want to say more than is allowed with farmers.com.

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 4:20 PM
Subject: [pcductape] Re: How to make a website

Carl,

First start by creating in your mind and maybe even on paper the themes and ideas you want on your website
Next you will need either to learn HTML and CSS  or use a web builder or some such.
You can find free tools for web building at http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/htmleditors.shtml

There are still people that build websites using just Notepad - but for that you really have to know HTML very well.

Further questions in regards website building are more than welcome.

Carl wrote:
Hi Guys,

I need some suggestions on how to make, from scratch, a website.   The tools I have available are Windows xp, Internet Explorer 6 and Word.

I signed up for a free email account at www.spymac.com and the email space is 1000 (1GB) MB E-Mail Account, and there is an additional 100 MB of web space for a webpage.

Heck, it's free.   So I thought I would prepare a website if only I knew how.   :-(

TTFN – Vic /

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
 to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
 to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better;

--

To unsubscribe from this list send an email to pcductape-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface. To view the message archives simply go to: http://www.freelists.org/archives/pcductape/ Take a look at our homepage at http://pcductape.freewebpage.org/