[pcductape] Re: How to convert 1st word to last in a spreadsheet column

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:42:04 -0600

Hi Carl,

Saturday, December 27, 2003, 4:10:06 AM, you wrote:

C> Ok, I create my new list of names and addresses with Excel but the data is
C> enter on the Internet that way with the last name 1st.    The owner's name
C> (both 1st and last name) is all in 1 column.   So I have a column with both
C> the last name and the 1st name in the column and the last name is out of
C> order.  How do I use Excel to put the last name to the right side of the 1st
C> name or even to create a new column with the last name listed all alone.

Here's what I have:

Cell #:    Contents:
A1         Last First A & Second B
D1         =TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)))
E1         =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,FIND("&",A1,FIND(" ",A1))-FIND("
F1         =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND("&",A1,FIND(" ",A1))+1,LEN(A1)-FIND("&",A1,FIND("

When you copy and paste formulas, the cell references adjust to match,
so you only need to fill in the first row, then copy those 3 cells,
mark the remainder of the cells, and paste; the other cells should get
filled with the correct results.  If the name is not in cell A, use
the appropriate letter.

This results in:
  First A
  Second B