[pcductape] Re: How do I stop Windows Installer?

  • From: Victor Firestone <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:23:15 +0200

Even at Microsoft there are levels upon levels - you just have to know where and what to look for - I should know I do some beta testing for Microsoft.

Wizard@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Quoting Victor Firestone <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Actually they have to work on the assumption of "common lowest denomonator" and that unfortunately is "presumably ignorant" - otherwise the problem is escalated to the higher echelons [where people like me sit] and we hit the roof if a problem is thrown at us which turns out was some silly oversight made by someone on the way up. [Normally there are a couple of ranks this goes through till it gets to me]
That is why on most tech support set-ups they have strict guidelines what they have to ask and what they have to run you through before the problem is passed on - hopefully till it is solved.
The main reason being that they do not want the top staff to work on a case and then waste time going through all those "beginners" steps which are quite time consuming, but rather start from a certain point half way through, secure in the knowledge that all the "beginners" tests have already been done. Senior tech salaries are quite high, they mostly do other "more important" stuff besides solving users problems and it is also very frustrating for the senior techie to try to solve the problem and then find that it is something very minor that should have been solved a long time ago, not to mention the fact that many times if it is escalated to senior techies, either the techie has to drop what he is currently working on or the user is going to have to wait till the techie can stop what he is currently doing and can find time for him.

In this case, there was no upper level; they were referring him to Microsoft for a problem that they should have researched themselves, IMO.

TTFN - Vic /

affection of children;