[pcductape] How do I stop Windows Installer?

  • From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxx>, <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 06:20:22 -0500

Hi Guys,

How do I stop Windows Installer from starting up when I try to download updates
to SpywareBlaster?   Here is what has happened and I can recreate the errors by
trying to update SpywareBlaster.
1st Error Message:
"Please wait while Windows configures The UNICARE Agent Assist"
=
2nd Error Message:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that
is not available."
=
3rd Error Message:
"Error 1706.  No valid source could be found for product The UNICARE Agent
Assistant.   The Windows Installer cannot continue."

The problem has been on this machine for about a year and it use to be
associated with Adobe but that has stopped and now the program is Unicare.   I
use to have the insurance software Unicare on this machine but I uninstalled it
about a year ago.   I did write to the company Unicare and they cannot help me
and tell me to call Microsoft;  that it's a Windows problem.

I google error1706 and there are several pages related to the problem but none
to Unicare.

I searched Microsoft database and there is no mentioned of Unicare, although
the error 1706 shows up several times in the database.

About 2 months ago I used regedit and deleted ALL references to Unicare.   My
computer crashed and then I had to use safemode to get the registry files
restored.

Btw, when I do try to update SpywareBlaster, I will go through the error
messages 3 times (error 1, 2, 3 for 3 different occurrences) and then
it(Windows Installer) quits and I can continue with SpywareBlaster.

So, any body have any suggestions?

Carl

JPEG image

JPEG image