[pcductape] Re: Hardware modems?

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 00:01:05 +0200

LOL LOL LOL,

And that is all that I have been saying from the beginning - now why oh why
does no one ever listen to me???.

And yes those modems were internal !!! And of course nowadays the point is
more or less moot unless you are running an old computer or want to easily
boot into Linux/Unix and don't want to have to configure your modem.

I don't know about modem accelerators - never touched them always fiddled
around in the registry and with the modem software to tweak them a bit.

I do know, OTOH, that download accelerators can do a good job, especially if
you are on broadband but the server you want to download from is a tad slow,
they speed things up by downloading the file you want in parts concurrently.

The telephone lines mostly cause problems in the last 100-200 yards or so to
the house - that is where the most interference happens.

TTFN

Vic