[pcductape] Re: HP Pavilion

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: nick bates <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 21:05:07 -0500

Hello nick,

nb> I'm trying to install win 98 SE on my son's hp pavilion 8086. I've
nb> fdisk, formated, partitioned, wiped, and zaped the hd at least five
nb> times. It seems to take w98se until reboot and that stupid HP screen
nb> comes up. Then it aske's boot from hard drive or cd rom (1 or 2). After
nb> picking either one a message that windows\system\vmm32.vxd is missing or
nb> corrupt. After that I have to start over as it won't do anything.

Severe problems installing Windows usually indicates that something is
wrong, probably memory.  As it happens, VMM32.VXD deals with memory...

Have you tried installing from a different CD?  Maybe that file on the
CD is corrupted.  Maybe someone else here has the file from Win98SE
that they can send you.

Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:Wizard@xxxxxxxx