[pcductape] Re: Google's new email under fire

  • From: Victor Firestone <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:31:02 +0200

Scott ,

A couple of things we have to remember that also cost money
Networking, Spam filters[which they promised which also means a lot more processing power needed], Database upkeep, Web Servers, Bandwidth, Back ups - either via raid or to backup HD's [probably not worthwhile to go the tape route]
Besides you don't want to use cheap computers coz you do need a fair bit of power to keep all the info flowing.

As for NAS - Network Attached Storage, or NAS, is a data storage mechanism that uses special devices connected directly to the network media. These devices are assigned an IP address and can then be accessed by clients via a server that acts as a gateway to the data, or in some cases allows the device to be accessed directly by the clients without an intermediary.

The beauty of the NAS structure is that it means that in an environment with many servers running different operating systems, storage of data can be centralized, as can the security, management, and backup of the data. An increasing number of companies already make use of NAS technology, if only with devices such as CD-ROM towers (stand-alone boxes that contain multiple CD-ROM drives) that are connected directly to the network.

Some of the big advantages of NAS include the expandability; need more storage space, add another NAS device and expand the available storage. NAS also bring an extra level of fault tolerance to the network. In a DAS environment, a server going down means that the data that that server holds is no longer available. With NAS, the data is still available on the network and accessible by clients. Fault tolerant measures such as RAID, which we'll discuss later), can be used to make sure that the NAS device does not become a point of failure.

I assume that they will start out on a small base and build it up - but in the end it is still going to be expensive.

Scott McNay wrote:

Hi Victor,

Thursday, April 8, 2004, 10:40:38 AM, you wrote:

VF> it's face. What astounds us most is the amount of storage they are
VF> going to need if they do indeed give out 1GB per user - even assuming
VF> that most people will take quite a while to reach that limit !!!

With compression, it works out to about 700 megs. You can buy 160G
drives for about $93 at NewEgg (plus tax, shipping, etc., which are
non-linear), which works out to 59 cents per gig. For 700M, that works
out to 41 cents per user, and the drive can hold email for up to 228
users.

Put the drives into cheap computers that have 2 onboard IDE, and 4
add-on IDE cards, you'd be able to shove 12 drives into a system. That
would handle up to 2736 users. Figure $400 or so for the computer, you
get an extra 15 cents per user, for a total of 56 cents/user.

If you go for terabyte systems at $3000 apiece, that's 1428 users at
$2.10 apiece. Google supposedly goes the cheap route.

There's NAS (Network Attached Storage), but I don't know how that
works or what the price range is.  Yet.  :)

It's kinda irrelevant, though: it takes a LONG time to fill a gig
(after compression) of email space. It takes me about 2 years per gig,
and that's with ALL mail saved (and I get 2-3 dozen emails a day),
including sent messages, spam, multi-megabyte-size file attachments,
etc.

--Scott.

TTFN – Vic /

affection of children;