[pcductape] Re: Google's new email under fire

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Victor Firestone <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:31:56 -0500

Hi Victor,

Thursday, April 8, 2004, 10:40:38 AM, you wrote:

VF> it's face. What astounds us most is the amount of storage they are
VF> going to need if they do indeed give out 1GB per user - even assuming
VF> that most people will take quite a while to reach that limit !!!

With compression, it works out to about 700 megs. You can buy 160G
drives for about $93 at NewEgg (plus tax, shipping, etc., which are
non-linear), which works out to 59 cents per gig. For 700M, that works
out to 41 cents per user, and the drive can hold email for up to 228
users.

Put the drives into cheap computers that have 2 onboard IDE, and 4
add-on IDE cards, you'd be able to shove 12 drives into a system. That
would handle up to 2736 users. Figure $400 or so for the computer, you
get an extra 15 cents per user, for a total of 56 cents/user.

If you go for terabyte systems at $3000 apiece, that's 1428 users at
$2.10 apiece. Google supposedly goes the cheap route.

There's NAS (Network Attached Storage), but I don't know how that
works or what the price range is.  Yet.  :)

It's kinda irrelevant, though: it takes a LONG time to fill a gig
(after compression) of email space. It takes me about 2 years per gig,
and that's with ALL mail saved (and I get 2-3 dozen emails a day),
including sent messages, spam, multi-megabyte-size file attachments,
etc.

--Scott.