[pcductape] Re: GINA Logon error

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 10:21:22 -0600

Hi Carl,

Sunday, November 9, 2003, 8:28:51 AM, you wrote:

C> My Windows XP Professional machine has an error
C> message when I reboot that is nagging me.   The message is: "GINA
C> Logon: winlogon.exe - Application error.   "The instruction at
C> "0x00c72740" referenced memory at "0x0000001b".   The memory could not
C> be written.    Click OK to terminate the program.
C> Click on Cancel to debug the program.   OK"

C> When I click OK to terminate the program, the computer reboots;
C> when I click on Cancel to debug the program, the computer loads
C> ok.   A search at google revealed that GINA is a "Graphical
C> Identification and Authentication" module for Windows 2000;   I'm
C> running xp prof.    Even more confusing is when I do a search
C> atwww.microsoft.com knowledge database and it tells me "RESOLUTION
C> To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows
C> 2000."

GINA is responsible for the login screen that you see (unless you have
it set to log you on automatically). It's found in both 2000 and XP.
There's a MSGINA, which is Microsoft's version, and there's a NWGINA,
which is Novell's version.

You might try doing a system restore to a day or two before the
problem started happening, or, if that fails, try downloading and
reinstalling SP1. Don't forget to reinstall the patches afterwards.

--Scott.