[pcductape] Re: Fw: Virus Warning

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Elaine <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:32:40 -0500

Hi Elaine,

Saturday, April 17, 2004, 5:33:11 AM, you wrote:

E> Most of you are probably familiar with the series
E> of 'Netsky' viruses which have been prevalent in recent months. Like me you
E> likely have virus scanning software or you preview e-mails from unknown
E> delete if suspicious or 'double click' to open them if you are happy. The
E> article below was in today's Daily Telegraph, some of you may already be
E> but for those who are not I felt it was worth sending you a warning, as it
E> appear that the 'attackers have 'upped the stakes'.

The stakes haven't been "upped"; Netsky.V doesn't seem to do anything
that previous viruses and worms haven't done. IE/OE security holes
have been used in the past to automatically do stuff without the user
needing to do anything.

The only thing new is that there's, as usual, more people online now,
many of whom think that they're safe simply because they haven't
gotten anything yet -- or so they think.