[pcductape] Re: Fw: [PC-Ductape] Spreadsheet question

  • From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:35:56 -0600

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried many ways to get a good mailing list
using a spreadsheet to sort but cannot.   Let me be truthful;   I am trying
to developed or capture a mailing list off the public records databases of
the Internet.   I am interested only in zipcode 77346 which has
approximately 12,000 postal addresses and I can buy the mailing list.   But,
I am cheap.   I know that the state of Texas collects property and school
taxes based on records kept by "Tax Appraisal Districts", which are the
government agencies  that determine how much we pay in property & school
taxes.   Texas has an "open records" law that require public data to be
disclosed when needed.   For some reason I don't understand, the tax
appraisal districts have all their databases on the Internet accessible to
anyone with the desire to go get them.    At http://www.hcad.org/, one can
"walk" down the block of any street and capture the names and addresses and
zipcodes of all who live on that block.   That is what I am trying to do but
when I copy from the website to my spreadsheet, the results are that the
name and address and zipcode are all in the same column.   Darn.   I know
there has to be a way to move the address to column B.   No need to move the
zipcode because they are all the same.

I will work some more tonight on your suggestions.
Btw, my street is Hickory Wind Drive, 77346 and to walk down the block one
needs to enter beg:18000 and end:29999 and it will pop up about 40 names and
addresses.

Thanks,