[pcductape] Re: Fw: [PC-Ductape] Spreadsheet question

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:02:32 -0600

Hi Carl,

Wednesday, December 24, 2003, 6:18:08 AM, you wrote:

C> Hi Lori,

C> Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
C> Be Blessed.   I used Excel 2002 and yes, it works.   Wow!
C> My earlier messages were based on MsWorks spreadsheet which is fast and easy
C> but not for websites.  Incidentally when I did do the copy from the website
C> and the paste I shut down the website, then my firewall asked if I wanted to
C> allow Excel Internet Access and then Excel opened the website as it pasted
C> the info to an Excel spreadsheet .   I can even delete the account number
C> column that I don't need.

MSWorks seems rather dated.  I'm not sure that MS has really bothered
to update it since they started pushing Office.

C> When I looked at the "source" of that website at http://www.hcad.org I
C> noticed that the author created the page on 3-30-2001 (before Excel 2002)
C> and he used JavaScript.   It looks like he use ";" to separate the columns.

It's a standard HTML table, each row looks like this:

            19911&nbsp; HICKORY WIND DR               <br></td>

C> When I looked at the properties of that page I see that it is in HyperText
C> Transfer Protocol and is not protected, which tells me the owner of the
C> website want people to copy & paste.   :-)

You don't need to look at Properties to tell this; all you need to do
is look at the url, which starts with "HTTP".  If it were protected,
it would start with "HTTPS".