[pcductape] Free website virus scan could be dangerous

  • From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 03:32:46 -0500

Hey Guys,
Below is an email message I received from a virus research firm.   What is
alarming is the indications that a hacker can get into your system if you use a
free website virus scan at two of the sites listed below.   I use website virus
all the time;   usually housecall but occasionaly I use Panda (very very slow).
Researcher Claims Online Anti-virus Scanners Buggy
By Larry Seltzer
April 7, 2004

UPDATED: Online scanners from Symantec, McAfee and
Panda all contain buffer overflows. One researcher
claims an attacker could execute arbitrary code,
another just that they could crash the browser. Panda
reports their software has been fixed and Symantec
and McAfee confirm the browser crash.

An Israeli security researcher claims to have found
security holes in the free online scanners of three
major anti-virus companies.

Rafel Ivgi, also known as "The Insider," in posts to
several security mailing lists, claims that Panda
ActiveScan, McAfee FreeScan, and Symantec Virus
Detection all suffer from buffer overflows that could
allow an attacker to crash the system and potentially
execute arbitrary code.

Read more here:
Copyright © 1996-2004 Ziff Davis Media Inc.