[pcductape] Re: Foxfire news

  • From: trapper <trapper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:20:09 -0900

I don't claim that this is correct thinking on my part, but you know I am so fed up with MS. that even if they did come up with the worlds best I would hate going to them..Just for a matter of principle. They have ripped to many people off for to long. It is as you say with them " my way or no way ".
I am on bended knees praying for the other guy. Nothing would please me anymore than to see MS eat some humble pie and apologize to its customers. Never going to happen though.
I also realize the doubleness of this two edged sword we got going here. I know that MS was the first and we owe a lot to them for what they have given to us. Thunder bird would not be if it weren't for a windows platform..I know this, yet...

Pam wrote:

Without getting technical and involved it has to do with scripting, browser
security and W3C standards again Trapper. IE/MS has always played its own
game, created rules on the way, etc. Same with their browser. Some of IE’s
abilities are great and I wish they would catch on with other browsers but
some of their functions utilize the very things that make other browsers
more secure than IE.

Personally, I think that a lot of it has to do with quietly making people
want to use their product. Think about it... create a system that everyone
thinks that they have to use YOUR methods and YOUR product and what have you
got? A money maker giant.

Now I won’t believe it until I see it for myself but I understand that is
part of what MS is working on in their new browser that probably won’t ship
until Longhorn comes out, security, standards compliance, W3C standards,
etc. I hope so. It will mean many web designers having to learn a different
way of doing things but in the long run many feel it will go far in
propelling the industry forward.

The sad part is that there really isn’t much that the IE browser can do that
other browsers cannot, if anything at all. The problem is actually in
programmers who choose to program for IE only without regard to whether it
will work in other browsers or not. It is within the web developers’ hands
today to eliminate the problem like what Carl mentioned but it means doing
things differently and some aren’t ready to do that yet.