[pcductape] Re: Food for thought -

  • From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:08:14 -0500

Hi Scott,

A Wal-mart is not all that big;   not as big as Victoria Station where one
catches the Tube for the airport.
The smaller Wal-Mart's are less than 500,000 square feet and are open only
from 7am to 11pm.   The Super Walmarts are much bigger, one not far from me
is 1/4 mile wide and 1/8 mile deep and it is open 24 hours 7 days a week.
The small Wal-Mart's were built to sell miscellaneous stuff to the public
and it usually had a small auto department where it sold tires to customers
for their cars.    The Super Walmarts have a specific purpose and that is to
sell groceries and related stuff plus continue the other miscellaneous stuff
plus an enlarged auto department.    Today a person can go into a Super
Walmart and find whatever he/she needs;  from chemicals for the swimming
pool to fertilizer for the yard to ice cream and other grocery items.
Many of us older Americans get our daily exercise by walking from the
backside of the very large parking lot to one side of the store and walking
around the inside a few times.   It's air conditioning plus one gets to see
a lot of stuff he/she would like to buy.

I think a Walmart is a very special type of industry for the USA and one
would think our visitors from Mexico would visit Walmart as soon as they get
here.   Not always true;   Houston has a lot of visitors from Mexico who are
the very rich and one rarely sees these people in Walmart;  rather they
frequent the very expensive stores in our very expensive shopping malls like
the Galleria.

Btw, I understand from a very reliable source that Walmart does sell dried
cherries.   :-)