[pcductape] Re: Food for thought -

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Victor Firestone <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:50:41 -0500

Hi Victor,

VF> No no K-marts

VF> Probably be easier if you could somehow rank Wal-Mart - top 10? Top 20 ? Or
VF> something like that.

VF> In any case in this regards would they be thought of as among the leaders in
VF> their area of expertise - in other words would the rest of the market follow
VF> their trend [at least technologically].?

From what I've read, they were apparently the first to really push barcodes.

How big? I can't think of anything to compare them to. Well, think of
a short block in a residential area; the building itself would cover
the entire block (assuming the block is square), and you'd need
another one for the parking lot. It's pretty much the descendant of
the old dry-goods store, and the more recent 5&10 store, where you
could get nearly everything that you'd typically need to buy. The
super-WalMart that was built here recently (to take the place of the
older WalMart that was built less than 5 years earlier) includes a
bank, small restaurant, optician, ophthalmologist, photographer,
druggist, video/DVD/game rental, groceries, clothes, auto stuff,
garden stuff, electronics, etc.