[pcductape] Re: FYI: A new cd for winxp ( you make it yourself )

  • From: "Eric Skeen" <northcom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:33:34 +0200

Hi Bill,

I have seen the destruction caused by Hurricane Ivan on TV, it is simply
unbelievable! My heart goes out to those folks - we don't have that sort of
thing happening here. Occasionally we might get floods in certain parts of
the country, but definitely nothing that we can't cope with.

I haven't seen the article re burning your own XP CD as I received a free
one in the post, and then two more free CDs yesterday when we purchased two
new laptops. The laptops did not yet have any programs loaded on them when I
did the update, but the two desktop computers certainly did, and all four
installations went very smoothly, about 20 minutes for each computer. What I
did do, and it is important, is to disable all active programs (AV, spy
block, firewall etc) first before doing the installation, which should be
done when you are not connected to the Internet. It might be an idea to
first run defrag as well, before you start the upgrade. I am under the
impression that any Computer shop will give you a SP2 CD for free, as MS
encourages people to share their CDs when they have finished with the

I hope you are able to sort out your problems, I am sure you will.

That Guy In Africa...
ICQ#  39461303
~ Greetings from Sunny South Africa ~