[pcductape] Re: FW: [PC-Ductape] Help! XP crashed and it can't get up.

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sanneumann@xxxxxxxxxxx" <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:18:34 -0600

Hi Sandy,

scn> I'll tell you what, if I never have to use the repair
scn> console again it will be too soon!  I finally got into normal
scn> windows mode with some help from Martha's links and a friend from
scn> Expert's Exchange but it appears I have a looong way to go yet.
scn> I have so many corrupt files at this point that I can't even run
scn> chkdsk.  I can't even delete them right now so I'm looking into
scn> other options.  I tried reinstalling EasyRecovery but I'm getting
scn> an error code and it fails.  Frustrated and tired I think I'll
scn> sleep on it and start again with a fresh pot of Folgers in the
scn> AM.  At least I can access my email from the web now on my own
scn> computer.  Thanks for coming to my rescue!  :-)

Sounds like hard drive got corrupted, especially the Windows folder;
if CHKDSK.EXE got swallowed up in the corruption, that would explain
the problem running it.

Might try to reinstall Windows on top of itself; that should replace
most or all of the missing files.