[pcductape] Re: Dialtone, schmialtone..computer error message

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jan L. Hodges" <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:28:16 -0600

Hello Jan,

JLH> First thing I usually do after receiving the message, after swearing of
JLH> course, is reboot. I still receive the same no dial tone message. Phone
line
JLH> is plugged in properly. And since I only use a single phone line, I have
the
JLH> phone plugged into the appropriate opening on the back of the computer.

Don't just reboot, shut down and turn the computer off, then turn it back on.

Try making sure that only one device (modem) is touching the phone
line; unplug other equipment, and see if that helps.

You might try looking for a phone line noise filter, and/or a phone
line surge suppressor (comes as part of some power strips), to see if
that helps.  If you already have such, try going straight to the wall
instead.

JLH> I sometimes have static in the background of phone calls, but no always.
JLH> Since I live just outside city limits where the first phone lines went up
JLH> many, many years ago, I am sure there are quite a few problems.

There may be noise that you can't hear.

JLH> Is there anything I can do to compensate, or is this the phone company's
JLH> situation?

If you can demonstrate problems using a fax machine that works fine
elsewhere, the phone company should be more helpful.

As for satellite, two of my co-workers have that, due to living just
beyond the cable company service area, and it seems that it has high
latency, meaning that it takes a while for the data to get to you.
Thus, for lots of small packets of data, such as you'd see during
gaming, dial-up will probably be faster. For larger packets, such as
with downloading, satellite will usually be faster, although I hear
that some (or all) of the satellite internet companies use
rate-limiting for customers who use too much bandwidth.

--
Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:Wizard@xxxxxxxx