[pcductape] Re: Dell Laptop

  • From: Lisa Schnepf <lars2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:25:44 -0400

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NTLDR.html

NTLDR

Short for NT Loader, a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector
that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Windows NT
load.
Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to
install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or
Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message
appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has
been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows
95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on
it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A
"System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot
the computer without the diskette.

Lisa