[pcductape] Corroding contact fingers, Right way to clean.

  • From: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:00:17 -0800

Contact fingers is one of the things I worked on at HP. Like why do they not make contact. Sorry about the carbon, not so. It happens mostly because there is very little gold on the contacts. Gold is expensive. You have to plate enough of it to close most of the holes in the plating, but that takes a lot of gold, so they just barely plate enough to close most of them. Closing all of them is almost impossible anyway.
What happens is moisture in the air helps make a small battery out of the different metals and it produces by products that are like crystals that actually form an eruption at a hole site. As it erupts from corrosion, it lefts the fingers. This is similar to what happens when you see rust. Rust is the eruption stuff. But it's iron so it looks brown. The contact salts are green to blue, mostly, if you can see them. You need a good microscope to see most of them. Now when the crystalline salts are wet, they are conductive, but when they dry, they are insulators, so bad connection.
This is one of the reasons your computer might not work at home, but when you put it in your car and take it down a bumpy road to the shop, it vibrates and may clear. When you get to the shop, it all works fine, until you take it home and the process continues and eventually, the same problem, again.
We determined that an eraser should not be used as it just also removes more gold so you can make the problem even worse in time.
The right way to clean them is with a combination of about seventy five percent alcohol to twenty five percent clean water. A lint free cloth is used. Just water or just alcohol will work ok too.
This is also why you will see grease like substance on phone contacts and other contacts. Grease will work fine for this, as long as contacts don't open and close like in a relay. If they open and close, the grease stuff will burn when it makes or breaks contact and then, Sandi, the carbon stuff will form. The grease stuff forms a barrier to moisture and air, two things you also need to cause corrosion. Oil in the grease is what forms the barrier. So, one could also use a small bit of oil also.

More then you wanted to know. :O)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Huntress" <sanneumann@xxxxxxxxxxx>