[pcductape] Re: Can anyone tell me what this means?

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:27:51 -0600

Hi Bob,
Go to that site I sent earlier for Lisa. It does a better job explaining it
than I would. Here is an excerpt from it.
http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Windows Messenger Service

The first thing to understand is that the Windows Messenger Service is
completely different from, and not in any way related to, "MSN Messenger",
"Windows Messenger", or any other well-known instant messaging system.
Therefore, disabling the Windows Messenger service will have no effect upon
your use of any other instant messaging applications. They will continue to
work without trouble.

If you ever see legitimate pop-up warnings or announcements with the phrase
"Messenger Service" in the title bar, you might have an application running
in your system that relies upon the built-in Messenger Service for the
delivery of its information. But every application we know of displays its
own pop-up alert dialogs, and we're not aware of any programs that rely upon
the Messenger Service. It's just a theoretical possibility. If it turns out
that you do need to have the Messenger Service running, "Shoot The
Messenger" will easily re-enable and start the service.

What is the Messenger Service?

Starting back with Windows NT, and carried forward into all subsequent
operating systems, Microsoft included a simple way for users on a network to
send each other short "pop-up" messages. Network administrators might have
used it to notify everyone of system-wide events. It was a nice idea, though
in its original form it never caught on widely. There is a standard command
line program "Net Send", that can be used to generate these messages, and
there's also a GUI (Graphical User Interface) application to do the same.

> No No NO - this is a pop-up via windows messenging [not to be confused
with
> windows messenger that you use to chat with friends]

Explain this please.