[pcductape] Re: Can anyone tell me what this means?

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 00:10:42 -0600

Lisa,
This error message is bogus.  They want you to believe that there is
something wrong.  Yes, you may have problems on your machine, but what they
are telling you isn't one of them.  That whole message is nothing but
fabricated malarchy to suck you in to their scheme.

You said you are using XP.  I have Win2k but I understand the paths are
about the same.  Do this. Open your Control Panel, click on Administrative
Tools, then in that list select Services.  In the list that comes up, find
Messenger. Double click on it and on the General tab, find StartUp and
change it to Manual.  Click OK or Close all boxes.  That's all there is to
it to keep those guys from spamming you again with that Messenger window.

Next, go to your Ad-Aware program and tell it to update.  Then run it again.

Next go to http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-1
and download Spybot Search & Destroy.  It finds things that Ad-Aware does
not.  Download, install, update, and then run it.

Next is to get rid of the virus problem.  Go to your virus provider and
update the protection pattern.  Then scan your system and let us know what
it says it finds.