[pcductape] Re: CD Rom doesn't show up under MyComputer or under Hardware

  • From: donelias@xxxxxxxx
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 01:56:49 -0600

A while back, the power supply on my older computer
died and I wanted to get the info from its hard drives.
I already had 2 hard drives and a CD Rom installed
so to add 2 more hard drives I disconnected the CD
and connected the 2 hard drives.  I copied all the old
files from the 2 hard drives and reinstalled the CD Rom
except that I couldn't get my W98SE machine to see
the CD Rom.  I stalled untill I finally needed the CD Rom
and had to fix it.  In checking the ribbon cable I fould
tht the No 1 pin was pushed back.  I pulled it back out,
hooked everything back up and than it all worked.

I apologize for such a long story but is there any cable
that you might have disconnected either accidentally
or on purpose?  It can happen pretty easibly.  If this
is a new machine and you haven't been poking around
in it, it doesn't look like my experience will benefit you
at all but it could have even been knocked partway
loose before you got the machine?

Good luck.

Take a look at our homepage at http://pc-ductape.home.comcast.net/