[pcductape] Re: Buffer Underrun ?

  • From: "Eric Skeen" <northcom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 19:27:42 +0200

Well, I was bragging to someone just last week that I *never* see the
"Buffer Underrun" problem anymore, and it has been years since I burnt
a coaster.

The Devil was listening.

On Sunday I installed Nero 6 (previously I used Nero 5, which always
worked perfectly!) and decided to give it a try. This same person (as
referred to above) brought me a music CD sung by a local Group that
was not going to be released commercially. The Group had simply
rebanded to earn some money to pay for their drummer's Hospital
expenses, as he had been diagnosed with cancer. The CD was only on
sale at a live show hosted by our local equivalent of the Hell's
Angels gathering (some 1000 miles from where I live, thank goodness),
and sold remarkably well. I am not a Hell's Angel lookalike, and I do
not (have never) ridden a motor bike. So I attempted a "Disk Copy".

Got as far as 1 minute 30 seconds and I watched horror-struck as my
Buffer simply disappeared.

I then ran the test for "Determine Drive Speeds" and after that all
worked perfectly. Burnt my CD in about 4 minutes flat.

So I guess it would be prudent to do the following:

 1. Defrag
 2. Let the software determine the maximum speed of all drives
 3. Run a simulation to ensure success

and then write the disk.

Good luck!

That Guy In Africa...