[pcductape] Re: Buffer Underrun ?

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lisa Schnepf <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:28:30 -0600

Hi Lisa,

Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 1:16:33 AM, you wrote:

LS> I've been having problems with my CD burner for the longest time now.  I
LS> have a DVD Rom and a CD Burner, so I can burn from one CD to another.
LS> That option usually doesn't work, though.  It will try, but the Buffer
LS> percentage never gets high enough to burn anything.  It comes up with an
LS> error that says Buffer Underrun, or something.  What does that mean, and
LS> how can it be fixed?  Sometimes if I copy the CD to my hard drive I can
LS> burn it that way without the buffer underrun problem.  How come it works
LS> that way?  Any info much appreciated.

In addition to what Elaine said, it sounds like you might have an
older drive. All drives on the market now have something called
BURN-Proof, or something similar, which takes steps to either avoid or
hide buffer under-runs. This is done by either dynamically slowing
down the write speed, or by going back and restarting where it left

You may also have too much running in the background; if you haven't
already, try restarting in safe mode, to see if that helps (if it'll
even work in safe mode).

Also, try running DEFRAG on the hard drive(s) first; that may help a