[pcductape] Re: Bob

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Barbara Schonfeld <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:03:59 -0500

Hi Barbara,

BS> Thanks Sandi. I will do that then. I thought maybe it would organize my
BS> stuff better. Barbara

Modern internet standards require that mailing lists and discussion
lists have certain keywords in the headers of each message.  This list
contains this in the header of each list message:

It does NOT conform to the standard, but it's better than nothing.
Maybe someone needs to nag the Ecartis/Freelists folks to upgrade.

Lyris uses this:

It's PART of the standard, which is better than nothing, and you can
key on "List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:leave-researchbuzz"; for determining
if it's a list message or not.

YahooGroups/EGroups/OneList uses this:

The first two are standard, and the first one can easily be used to
uniquely identify the list, as specified by the standard.

Topica uses this:

BCentral, from MSN (aka Microsoft) has nothing, so, as usual, they are
indeed conforming to standards but no one knows what they are.

ListServ also has nothing explicit, but they have the excuse of being very old
software, at least a decade old.

This appears to be Mailman, not sure; that's the only name that I can
find in common between an independent pair of lists that are otherwise
identical. But, it comtains a nearly complete set of standard

This is from lists.abuse.net, no indication of what list software
they're using: