[pcductape] Another Virus!

  • From: "Martha Bagwell" <mabagwell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:00:30 -0600

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.lirva.removal.tool.html

From the virus info list

virusinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Lirva begins to spread faster -

Madrid, January 9, 2003 -- Over the last 24 hours, the Lirva worm has been
spreading steadily and is now ranked as the third most frequently detected
virus by Panda ActiveScan. Lirva now accounts for just over 6 percent of all
infections detected and removed by Panda's free, online virus scanner. It is
most active in Europe and the US, although it has also been detected in various
other countries around the world.

Due to the increasing threat posed by Lirva, Panda Software has made the
PQREMOVE utility available to all users. This application is designed to repair
the possible damage that the virus could inflict on computers and can be
downloaded from http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/

Panda Software's Virus Laboratory has also detected two new variants -B and C-
of Lirva. These are very similar to the original worm, although there are
certain differences such as the size of the infected file. The company's tech
support services have already started to receive reports of the first incidents
caused by Lirva.C

This new malicious code and its variants are designed to spread rapidly using
various means of transmission, including e-mail, the file swapping tool KaZaA
and the IRC and ICQ chat programs. When via e-mail, they exploit a known
vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer to run automatically when the
message carrying the malicious code is viewed in the Preview Pane.

These worms are also programmed to block antivirus programs and firewalls in
order to render the victim's computer defenseless.

Panda Software advises clients to treat all e-mails and files received with
caution and, if they haven't already done so, to update their antivirus
solutions from http://www.pandasoftware.com. From this address, users can also
access the company's free, online scanner Panda ActiveScan to disinfect
computers that may have been hit by these malicious code.

For more information on these and other malicious code, visit Panda Software's
Virus Encyclopedia at: http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/

NOTE: The addresses above may not show up on your screen as single lines. This
would prevent you from using the links to access the web pages. If this
happens, just use the "cut" and "paste" options to join the pieces of the URL.

Martha

Martha's Web
http://www.keyboardpower.com