[pcductape] Re: Advice Needed

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:00:54 +0200

Bob,

Actually not - look at all the websites of people going up Mt Everest -
they all [100% of them] use sat phones both for talking and for their
websites. I know this coz I have been up there, admittedly only briefly
[ you can't stay there unless you are on a summit trip, or get stuck
there because of weather]. I did two major treks in the Nepal / Himalaya
region -

Annapurna circuit with Annapurna Base Camp - that was the long trek - 25
nights and 26 days; there was a one day acclimatization at around 3500 m
on day 5.
Maximum height reached was 5400 m; and this is a grade 4 trek, almost
the hardest trek around.
Short description would be - a great Trans-Himalayan trek with the
addition of Annapurna Sanctuary trekking [on this trek you arrive at
Everest base camp about noon on the 18th day or so and have a rester and
then continue on to the place where you will rest the night, not on Mt
Everest base camp itself].

The second trek was
Everest Kalapattar/Everest Base Camp -  much shorter trek but with a bit
more height to it for 12 nights and 13 days,
Maximum height: 5550 m; Grade: 4

BTW, the grandson of Sherpa Tenzing Norgay, the Sherpa that climbed the
Everest with Hillary, just received permission to build the highest
internet café in the world - at base camp - he will be using wireless
and satellite communications.

TTFN

Vic