[pcductape] Re: A Gentle Reminder

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Elaine <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:44:10 -0600

Hi Elaine,

E> There is still activity on Topica and I do know
E> that there is/was a problem with Spamming but that is not the case with all
of
E> topica,  It was certain topica groups that was causing the trouble which as
E> far as I know has been dealt with the groups that were affected were those
E> that had an open posting and not a closed group such as our Topica and
E> freelists are.

E> I would find another ISP that do allow topica.

I would tell the ISP that the people receiving those lists CHOSE to do
so, and they can choose to stop receiving; "help" is not needed from
the ISP for that, unless the people in question aren't competent to
read and follow the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the
emails, in which case they need more help than the ISP can provide. If
it is the moderator's policy to permit open posting or unmoderated new
users, or the like, then it is the moderator who will (should) lose,
by loss of members annoyed by that policy. There's no need to punish
members of groups that are run competently.

--Scott.