[pasteurstation] "The Mission"

  • From: Lukas Fyrstk <commolukasfyrstk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pasteurstation@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:06:02 -0400

"The Mission"

ON

The U.S.S. /Dauntless/ pulled away from Pasteur Station. Lukas sat in the command seat and watched as it got smaller on the viewscreen. A very large part of him did not want to leave the station. His children were on it and it was difficult to leave them behind. He was their only parent now. He had expected more of a disagreement from the kids, than he actually got. It was always amazing to watch the dynamics of his family. Luna, his ten year-old adopted daughter, and Rohan (one of the nine-year old twins) were the smarter and more logical of the kids. Luna had accepted the news as a standard part of her father's duties. Rohan also accepted that it was a part of Starfleet. Ronov, Rohan's twin, first demanded to go on the mission, then stomped around when he was informed that that wasn't going to happen. Jessica, they youngest, simply clung to her father. The next issue came with the informing of Dr. Terra Ane, the station's CMO, that she wasn't going on the mission. Terra, expectedly insisted that she be on the mission. Lukas assured her that it was basically a seek and find mission, and that her expertise as a physician would be better on the station. He also, on a personal note, wanted her to stay behind with the kids. Being as close as Terra was to April, the kids viewed the medical officer almost as a second mother. It was not an easy battle (Lukas actually preferring to go up against the Borg), but Terra finally conceded.

The journey to the Neutral Zone took three days at maximum warp. Lukas had been in touch with Admiral Landers, at Starfleet Command, to let them know just what he was up to. Considering the rapidly-intensifying air between the two powers, Landers was glad Lukas was headed there. The /D'deridex/-class warbird, /Bloodwing/, sat just on the Rihannsu side of the Neutral Zone. This proud ship had once been de-commissioned, and was sitting in the mothball fleet until pulled back into service when the newer /Scimitar/-class warbird, bearing the same name, had been destroyed by the race known as the T'Kil. She now bore the flag of Enriov Rohnok, her former (and once again) commanding officer. "Commodore," called out the science officer, Lt.jg Caleb Landers. "A /D'deridex/-class warbird is just on the other side of the Neutral Zone." His voice did hide the surprise at the fact that such an old warbird was still in service. "Just as expected," Lukas offered. "Helm, take us across the Zone, and alongside the /Bloodwing/."
    "Aye, sir," Lt. Aryes answered.
"Sir," Landers once again sounded. "The warbird is sending their greetings and their comminding officer will receive you in his dining room." "Very good, Lt," Lukas acknowledged. He rose from the center seat. "Mr. Landers you have the conn."

Rohnok was already seated when the captain of the U.S.S. /Dauntless/ entered the dining room. He rose to greet his visitor. "It is good to see you," Rohnok offered as the man came over to shake his hand. "You are looking well. Station life must be agreeing with you." "It has its perks," the man agreed. "You seem to be looking a little older though. Ah can scarcely imagine what you've been through lately." "I do not even want to go into it," Rohnok agreed. He swept his hand out across the table. "Please. Sit. Let's partake before we get into business." The two did just that. They sat and made small talk about personal happenings in their lives, while they dined. Both men, deftly avoiding the business they knew they had to discuss. The first half hour of their meeting was actually enjoyable. "I really hate to spoil this meeting, but as you know...." Rohnok started as he poured some more wine into his guest's cup. "Yeah, Ah knew we'd have to get around to that," the Starfleet officer commented. He took a sip from the glass and sat back in his chair. "Ah have been in touch with mah superiors and they assure me this ship is a rogue. Ah also have the authority to offer mah assistance in any way possible." "That ship of yours isn't equipped with a cloak, is it?" Rohnok inquired. He knew that since the original agreement to equip the /Defiant/ with a cloak, with the stipulation that they only use it in the Gamma Quadrant, some Starfleet agencies and officers took it upon themselves to bypass to original treaty that the Federation would not use a cloak at all in the Alpha Quadrant. "A Starflleet ship with a cloak?" Rohnok's guest exclaimed in mock protest. He smiled, knowing full well why the enriov asked such a question. He then answered honestly, "No. She is not equipped with a cloak, but she does have another advantage."
    "The same advantage your old ship had?"
"Yes," the /Dauntless/' CO answered honestly. "Ah made sure she had the technology put aboard when Ah took command."
    "Good," Rohnok said.  "So you will be willing to assist in the hunt?"
    "Absolut...."
The captain's response was cut off by the sound of the chime at the dining room entrance. Both men glanced in that direction.
    "Enter," Rohok ordered.  A young-looking centurion entered.
"Enriov," the centurion announced. "I have word of..." His eyes quickly traveled to the Starfleet officer seated at the table, then back to Rohnok. "/Excelsior/," Rohnok inquired. A quick glance to the Fleet officer, then back to the centurion. "You may proceed." The centurion's eyes went between the two officers. The Starfleet officer sat there with a mild look of interest on his face. Lukas had not heard much of the ship since their last encounters together (he with the /Eagle/) during the Hobus disaster. "Re... reports are that the Fleeter ship interceded in a dispute between Narassi fighters and a freighter." "The Narassi," Rohnok said almost under his breath. He glanced to his guest. "A small, insignificant mining planet." He looked back to the centurion. "Did the Narassi request assistance?" "Dhat, Enriov. According to reports the captain simply ordered the Narassi off. As the freighter tried to flee, the /Excelsior /disabled it then boarded it." Both officers at the dining table frowned. Rohok again glanced to his guest to see his reaction, then back to the centurion. "Send orders to maintain monitoring the situation, but take no actions."
    "Ie. Enriov!"  The centurion saluted and proceeded out of the room.
    "Would you lahke me to head over there and talk wi..."
Rohnok put up a hand. "No. That will not be necessary. I will handle her. I would appreciate you heading to the Tigelis system. You will rendezvous with Rohmek's ship and try to track down this rogue ship."
    "Not a problem," the captain acknowledged.
For the rest of the meeting, the two seasoned officers sat and discussed things of much lighter natures. Their conversations went from family to past encounters. Finally, it was time to part each other's company. "I want to thank you, once again for coming out like you did," Rohnok told his guest with all sincerity. "Right now, you are the only Starfleet officer I am certain I can trust."

Within ten minutes, bot Rihannsu and Federation ship were under way. Both heading in the same direction, but to different destinations.

###