[passcoalition] Re: prioritizing APS requests

  • From: Annalyn <acourtneyb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 23:57:07 -0500 (EST)

 Gene and Ken,

I have started to review the Prioritization Tool and and would like to add some
comments to your discussion.

I have spent the last several years teaching at Selis Manor and observed the
APSs installed for Sixth and Seventh Avenues because the poles existed and no
APSs for 23rd Street despite the LPI when crossing 23rd Street at both corners.
 I'm concerned that adding consideration of existing infrastructure will allow
DOT to continue to install APSs where it is easy to do so rather than where one
is needed.  Signalization for the intersection and the pedestrian signal
control for each cross walk should be the focus.

Regarding turning cars; despite how much time is spent teaching how to analyze
an intersection and anticipate turning cars, when my student and I reach the
crosswalk with an APS, attention turns to the sound of the voice announcing the
walk light is on and turning cars become a distant afterthought.  I now stand
at the corner, demonstrate the APS and state it tells only that the walk light
is on, it does not tell if and when car(s) will turn toward you as you cross.
Sometimes I have a student stand and note the turning cars for a cycle or two
before actually using the APS and crossing.

Noting the number of people requesting an APS at a specific crosswalk might
suggest the merit of the request but it could place travelers in the outer
boroughs at a disadvantage.  Being outside Manhattan is sometimes a
disadvantage in itself.

I am concerned about the medians or islands added as a result of bike lanes and
pedestrian plazas.  Some areas are only painted.  Although an APS will not
address the need for detectable warning strips and well defined borders, I am
not sure if timing is properly adjusted in each situation.

Annalyn

Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:01:23 -0800
From: cclvi@xxxxxxxxx
To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When requests for APS installations are evaluated, I hope the prioritization
tool used will include, among other factors;  1.How long it has been since a
request was first made
2. How ready the existing infrastructure is for installations
3. documentation of dangerous incidents
4 volume of turning vehicles
5. volume of pedestrians (Contrary to the prioritization we have been shown, a
high volume of genral public use of a crosswalk makes that crosswalk less
dangerous not more dangerous for a blind pedestrian)
If these criteria are included in evaluations, I should think that the North
crossing at Eighth Avenue and 55th Street will score high.  I made my first
request seven years ago.  That crosswalk already has ped heads in the perfect
positions.  Not many pedestrians cross there.  A high percentage of vehicle
movement is turning from the avenue into the crossstreet or from the cross
street into the avenue, both one-ways.  I have reported about a half dozen
dangerous incidents, in one of which I was hit by a turning vehicle.  I was not
injured but there is a police report on record.  Ken