[passcoalition] Re: Summary from MOPD of Dec 16 Meeting

  • From: Gene Bourquin DHA <oandmhk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:31:57 -0500

Karen, I know we talked about this offline. Just a word t the group.  It may
not be tour advantage to ask or expect the DOT to review and fix all the
problems at an intersection when they plan an APS installation. These can be
very different activities.  We should continue to press them on APS and other
issues, but perhaps not in typically in conjunction.

Gene

Subject: [passcoalition] Re: Summary from MOPD of Dec 16 Meeting
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 17:01:04 -0500
From: SchadingA@xxxxxxx
To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think that does, Karen.

From: kgourgey@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:
[passcoalition] Re: Summary from MOPD of Dec 16 Meeting
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011
18:33:23 -0500

Hi Mindy and
all,

I talked with Matthew
Puvogel the other day and said I wanted to change the flyer to ask people to
include in their requests  to include not only APS’s, but intersections
they find dangerous or confusing.  I thought that would get us on the road.

Also, Ms. Newman
indicated that she wanted to do things in a systematic way, taking everything
into account.  Perhaps what we should in sist on is that whenever there is
a request for an aps, a full review should be conducted.  Matt wants to do
that using the priority tool, and he wants to meet with Gene to modify the
tool,
so that it’s appropriate for this environment.  Gene, is there a way that
when the tool is modified, additional  factors can be added  that
would assure a more wholistic look at each intersection being
considered?

Karen
in

  From: Gene Bourquin DHA

  Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:20:41
  -0800
From: cclvi@xxxxxxxxx
  MOPD of Dec 16 Meeting
To: passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Can a PASS member who was
        there respond with documentation of other content that is important
        to us?  ...such as what you note, Karen, and any commitments D of T
        made.

--- On Mon, 1/31/11,
        Karen Gourgey <karen.gourgey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        wrote:

From:
        Karen Gourgey <karen.gourgey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:
        [passcoalition] Summary from MOPD of Dec 16 Meeting
To:
        "'passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
        <passcoalition@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
        Monday, January 31, 2011, 1:54 PM

Hi
        Everyone,

Below is the summary of the Dec 16 meeting furnished by
        Matthew PuVogel of the Mayor's Office for people with disabs. My
concern
        with it is the limited exposure given to the other needed
accommodations
        like detectable warnings, and, of course, it sounds like folks still
        don't understand LPI's.  I'll also send the flyer they want to send
        to the community.  I want to respond to Matthew tomorrow
        morning  So, if you have comments, please let me know by this
        evening if at all possible.

Thanks.

Karen, (see below for
        MOPD summary.

                  On December 16, 2010 The
        Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities met with the Department of
        Transportation and the Coalition of Pedestrians for Accessible Safe
        Streets (PASS) to discuss the new DOJ criteria to be utilized when
        installing Accessible Pedestrian Signals, and the below summarizes the
        basic working approach for proceeding.

All new installations of
        lights in New York
        City will now be evaluated using the complete
        Department of Justice criteria, and if they are deemed to be a
priority,
        an Accessible pedestrian signal will be installed.

It was
        determined that PASS requests should be submitted to the Department of
        Transportation Borough Commissioner and a copy sent to MOPD.

        start with a baseline, it is necessary to know where the signals have
        been installed to date, and if and when the complete Department of
        Justice standards have been followed when installing accessible
        pedestrian signals.

Further, too meet the unique urban setting
        that is New York
        City, modifications to the DOJ criteria should be
        considered,   and MOPD and PASS will examine the tool and
        provide comments on how the DOJ criteria can be modified.

As DOT
        strives to improve pedestrian safety, such changes in intersection
        design and signalization continue to make the pedestrian phase of
street
        crossings increasingly difficult for people with vision loss.

Changes include intersections with multiple lanes, irregular
        shapes and complicated phasing.

Mayor's Office for People
        with Disabilities will continue to partner with PASS concerning
        additional pedestrian matters such as Leading Pedestrian Intervals
        (LPI), pedestrian plazas, and the installation of bike lanes.
The
        statements above attempt to provide a brief summary of the conversation
        of December 16, and set forth some steps to get momentum generated on
        accessible signals, and to assure that other identified matters of
        safety are flagged for future strategic planning discussions.  The
        above does not assert to include all of the details or opinions
        expressed at the meeting or in accompanying documents, or to include
all
        of the critical safety issues to be explored in future planning
        partnerships.

Karen Luxton Gourgey
        Ed.D., Director
Computer Center for Visually Impaired
        People
Baruch College, City University of New York
One Bernard Baruch
        Way, Box H-0648
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (646)