[pasmembers] Friday night at Antennas

  • From: "Eric Steinberg" <eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 22:00:40 -0500

Hi-

Based on the weather, we moved the Antennas trip from Saturday to Friday
and were treated with clear, inky black skies, enough so that Venus
affected dark adaption and zodiacal light was clearly visible from the
horizon, nearly to the zenith.  Seeing started out at 3/5 and improved
to 4/5 after midnight.  There were 15 observers present, mostly with
RV's of one sort or another.  We used our trusty tent, which was fine
but which at our age tends to get old quicker than we are.

We observed 26 objects total including 7 new ones before fatigue and
cold took their toll (we both have colds, but didn't want to miss the
night).  Views of familiar objects take on a whole new dimension there
and faint constellations like Cancer and Coma Berenices are clearly
visible.  Highly recommended.

I can post our list if folks are interested.

Thanks,

Eric & Ora